Saturday, April 25, 2009

Protected
Unfortunately, the peril of stealing wireless internet is that the source is quite likely to disappear on you. So until I can find another network to sneak onto, I'm stuck typing this out on good old Notepad.

So, my first morning in Seoul! I made a delightful composite blog video where you can see me get more and more exhausted on my Journey to the PastFuture, and hopefull Youtube won't kill itself whenever I try to upload it.

In the meantime, I'm staying in a hotel for three days, called Co-op Residences which I think is part hostel, cheap hotel, and post-graduate apartments all combined into one. The result is a super cute, compact studio apartment with a 24 convenience mart in the basement. That's alright with me! I guess the former teacher occupying my future apartment needs the time to pack up and move out. I can't imagine the 'real' apartment being any smaller than the
hotel studio, which is really tiny by anything but New York standards, so I think I should be fine.

Anyways, I finally arrived in Incheon International Airport at 8:30pm last night (so, 8:30 AM-Renee-wants-to-die-Time) and finally got my luggage and through customs by 9, not too shabby. Unfortunately for all involved, customs did not give a dick about what I had in my suitecases, so possible mental-scarring-by-tampons did not occur. Tim and Fred, assistants to school branch, picked myself and another teacher up at the airport, which was ace, because it turns out the airport is a good 40 minutes away, and a taxi would have cost roughly $100. :C Patrick, the other teacher is on his second year teaching english in Korea, and shared some awesome horror stories about his first year's school. He seems like a chill guy, so I think I'll have at least one sort-of friend in Korea.
Besides Lee-san of course 8D.

Completely not on topic, but fuck Vista, I have no idea what to do to type in Korean. :C

Okay, back to BLOGGING ABOUT MY DAY. Because it's not quite lunch yet. I woke up this morning at 7:30, and sort of lazed about in bed till 8:15, so I guess the upside to not sleeping on a plane is crashing and then not experiencing any jet lag, sweet deal. Putzed around on the internet - thanks Mom for being on Skype but clearly away from the computer, breaking my heart here - and then went out in a quest to not be such a shut in.

So the Co-op building is literally right next to I think the big river that runs through Seoul - there's a nature reserve and running and biking tracks running all along the edge, it's gorgeous. And all the signs have english, and I'm already getting less shitty at reading hangul (although I still have no idea what any of it means, hush). I spent a couple hours just walking along the trails, and then back onto the sidewalk for a couple blocks around the hotel - the subway is literally a block away. I'm reading through the Rough Guide to Korea right now before I head back out (Thanks Anna, ♥) but apparently the subway has english signs too; I could cry with joy. I found several barbeque places (haha, I don't have to call it korean barbeque I guess) but they were all closed because I am a super loser and want steak for breakfast, unlike the rest of the country. Unfortunately, they weren't any cheaper than K-town :C

There's also something going on at the World Cup Stadium across the river; they keep releasing ballons and have some crazy floating signs attached to even bigger ballons. SO EXCITING! I wish I knew korean.

No comments:

Post a Comment